Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bartleby - Disappointing.

I felt that Bartleby was a slightly disappointing short story.  I actually was very inthralled in the story up until the last few pages.  In the beginning, it was interesting to see the rebellion within Bartleby's personality.  He, in some ways, reminded me of how I would like to respond to my boss at times.  Throughout the story, the mystery gets more intense.  The lawyer begins to really take an interest in Bartleby's resistance, making it almost an obsession.  He began to try to give Bartleby jobs that were not very demanding in an effort to further examine Bartleby's behavior.  Bartleby then seems to go insane and is soon thrown in jail, where he dies.
I think that the story ended rather abruptly.  I understand that there was an underlying meaning behind the madness, but as far as the story goes, it was very unfulfilling.  It left the reader with a lot of unanswered questions.  It never really hints at the death of Bartleby.  It just pops up on the page.  Although it ended abruptly, it did have a lot of hidden meaning.  Once the reader looks past the actual story and realizes the real meaning, it begins to make sense.  I still feel like the story could have been extended giving the reader more information regarding Barleby.

No comments: