Thursday, September 11, 2008

Edgar Allan Poe - The Cask of Amontillado

I know that I did not talk about this story last time, but I just finished my paper on it.  I read it threemore times to get my thoughts through my head and I was really intrigued by Poe's ability to captivate an audience.  He uses many different elements of literature that enable him to do this.  Above all of these aspects, one stood out the most.  Poe is a genius when it comes to imagery.   He would start by bringing the characters into action.  Once I got acquainted with them, he began to describe the scenery.  He is great at describing scenes.  He then began to paint this colorful picture of the story in my mind.  As he began to draw me deeper and deeper into the story, it almost became a movie in my mind.  Every word that Poe inserted into the story was acted out in my mind.  By the time they were drinking Medoc in the catacombs, I was standing right behind them and I felt as though I was there.  I watched as they went further and further into the vault all the way to the end.  I stood there as the narrator chained up Fortunado and built the wall.

I know that I've gone on a wild fantasy tangent, but it was all intended for one sole purpose.  In essence, that is my definition of imagery.  When the reader begins to feel as though they are part of the story, merely as a character lagging behind the others, then the author has done their duty as the story teller.  I have never seen an author have a more efficient way of producing imagery.  Every story and poem I read by him are all the same.  By the end, I'm captivated in the story and simply become part of it.  That, ladies and gentleman, is imagery.

No comments: