Sunday, October 5, 2008

Kudos to Science Fiction!

I, myself, being an avid fan of science fiction am greatly pleased to have now had the opportunity to read some great examples of both science fiction and fantasy. Both "7C" and "Luscus Naturae" filled this desire very well. "Luscus Naturae" had me guessing throughout the beginning as to what the little girl in the story was suffering from. I would like to point out that the depiction of a vampire in this story is much different than what I, and I'm sure many others, are accostomed. I especially like that the story is told from the girl's point of view rather than the traditional view of socity against monster. The author goes further by showing that the vampire still displays human characteristics, thoughts, and desires. She chooses to "die" when her sister wants to marry, allows her mother to leave after she wants to move out to live with her the other daughter, scares people away from the castle so they won't live there, and even when she bites the young man she only wnated to be playful and kiss him. In spite of being a monster in the eyes of everyone else,the girl in the story is very much so a human.
"7C" was very intriguing, but very confusing to follow at the same time. It took me an entire day to figure out that the two sentence breaks from the story were the narator addressing the reader instead intermitant breaks of the timeline of the story breaking in at certain points. The overall idea was very original and once the story came full circle I was left reeling. Each of these was a great example of modern science fiction and fantasy literature.

No comments: